Sketches In Thyme: Fabric Flower Tutorials

Hi everyone! It's my (Stacy) turn to share a tutorial with you this week! :)

Flowers have been something that I love on my cards, and they're so pretty when it's handmade! Hope you'd like this flower tutorial... :)

Here's what you'll need: 


Fabrics
Scissors
Punched Circle cardstock
Or in my case, I used a card from the magazine which is thick enough to act as my template. Size of the circle doesn't really matter, I am happy to work with 3" but dont go too small else you'd have problems with fraying fabrics and tangles...2 - 5" should be ideal.
Needle
I used a long needle so that it's easier for me.
Thread
I used the DMC thread because it's thicker and I feel more secured... Try to choose a colour that is similiar to the fabric that you're using so that the threads would not show.
Sewing Machine
if you have one. It is faster! I use sewing machine normally..

=====(^^)=====

Here are the steps for the fabric flower:

Step 1: Use the circle template and cut the fabric to circles shape.

Step 2: Cut the circles into halves. (Semi-circle)


Step 3: Fold one semi circle into halve, let the wrong side face outwards.

Step 4: Sew the straight edge with the back stitch.
(Or simply use the sewing machine)



Step 5: 
At the very last, tie a knot and thread it towards the centre.

Then cut the thread, this helps to keep the unwanted thread inside and unseen.


Step 6: 
Flip the quadrant inside out.
Make sure that the tip / corner is pushed outwards and pointed.


Step 7: 
Repeat the above procedure for the number of petals you'd like to have.
I am doing a 5 petals flower, hence I made 5 of such...

Step 8: 
On the curved edge, do the wavy stitch
(I don't know what is the exact name of this stitch, hopefully the pictures can tell you what I meant.)
Basically just go into the fabric and out and continue this until the very end.
Just try to keep the gap between the stitches even.


Step 9: 
Continue onto the next petal.
Finish all 5 petals (or as many as you'll be doing...)



Step 10: 
Push the petals towards the end, leaving a 15cm string...
Leave enough thread so you can tie the 2 ends of the string together.


Step 11: 
Tie the two ends of the string (double knot)
Viola!



Step 12: 
Sew a button in the centre to decorate it. If you are worried if the flower will sag and stuff, just cut a small circle from cardstock and attach it to the back in the centre of the flower.

=====(^^)=====

Keen enough to start this? Pick up any scraps of fabric and try your hand on this... It's not that difficult. (For your information, I finished doing this within 30 mins including the time I spent taking photos and talking to my colleague!) So it's fairly reasonable time spent.

Here's a project using the flower:


Instead of using a button at the middle, I attached another small flower to it. It is pretty sturdy and you can make use of scraps of cloth. Good luck with the flowers, and hope you like it! :)

3 comments

MommaSaid said...

This is still awesome and I still thank you!

annieambriel said...

wonderful tutorial ... I love it. Thanks for sharing.. I have to try this :)

Sandy Ang said...

Such lovely flowers - have to try them soon. Wishing you Joyeux Noel and a wonderfully creative year ahead !