SS DT: Friendships & Smiles

Hello crafters! It’s me on the Simple Stories Blog today with 2 layouts using the ‘Sunshine & Happiness’ Collection and gorgeous flowers from Petaloo! Today marks Day 4 of the SS & Petaloo Product Swap week~ You must drop by the blog to see the lovely inspirations from DT members, I am so swooned by their projects!
So exciting to use these flowers on my layouts! Love the Petaloo flowers! The idea came about pretty quick, inspired by the bright and vibrant colors! The photos used here were taken last year where me and my best friends went for a photoshoot. It has been close to 16 years since i knew the both of them. The memories were filled with laughter and sunshine!
The first layout is titled “Summer Shine”.

The papers remind me of my best friends pretty much, especially for the smiles and sunshine they bring me! The first piece that called out to me was the pattern paper “High Five”. I felt this urge to cut the whole piece of the paper up! So I went with the flow, and filled the entire background with the cut out pieces, sewing each cut piece onto the cardstock. The finished background looked like a completed jigsaw piece which depicts how I felt with my best friends. When I craft, I like to go through a process which fits the story I am telling.
The background was so captivating and I did not want to cover up the photo area with too many papers, so I used some transparency for the layering instead. Here I cut some rectangular pieces with a window in the centre and backed it up with transparency. In addition, I added some chipboard frames (Life in Color Collection) to the sides as well. I cut them into 2 pieces, so I can really utilize more with 1 piece. (I am still very much in love with the stitched background!)

Petaloo flowers are extremely pretty! They highlight the entire layout immediately and I am drawn deeply towards the photo instantly with the gorgeous blooms! Here I first misted the flowers lightly with silver shimmer, adding a slightly glittery look to the flowers. Layer the flowers with diecut or punched leaves and SS embellishments to highlight the entire area!


In order to flow the entire page with the same concept, i used another chipboard frame for this cluster of embellishment as well. I must say that SS has done it yet again in the Bits & Pieces pack. This pack really packs a punch! I totally love the pieces in here!
When I saw the chipboard pieces, it was immediately clear what the title would be. With such sunshine and joy in the photos, Summer Shine just seemed the most appropriate title for me!
Lastly, to finish up the entire layout, I covered up the photo with a napkin and added some splashes of gesso for a finished look.

On the next layout “Happy Smiles”, I wanted to work with some stitching that signifies the friendship.
This time, I added the chain link. It helps me signify the chain of friendship and the memories we had together.
 
You could sew the chain link stitch directly onto the layout, but for this time, I decided to add it as a dangling piece from the photo so I sewed it seperately.

Ain’t the papers gorgeous and bright? I love how much the circular elements displays behind the photo and the vibrant colors of the background.
After the layering, I added Petaloo flowers to enhance the circular elements. This time, I took a mix of Petaloo flowers for a different look. I wanted different flowers and shapes in this layout because the elements are kept simple to avoid over cluttering the page.
In addition, I added some phrases (from the stickers and Bits & Pieces pack) on top of the flowers. It is one way to highlight subtitle!


Using transparency behind titles also help to lift the title without covering the background or overwhelming the word. In this case, I added 2 pieces from the Bits & Pieces pack to provide emphasis to the word “Smiles” too. I like the sticker sheet. It gives me possibilities of any title in mind!

Lastly, i added stickers and embellishments in this cluster to finish up the entire look of the whole layout, keeping in mind the circular theme thoughout this layout.

Hope you like these layouts!
Don’t forget to drop by again for more goodies by the Design Team installed for you this week for the Simple Stories & Petaloo Product Swap!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/sRn1aLXIn6i1uAzqPPfU7rkfox400jZT3JDgxKETPasxMSpabNhQ6xZUCopPzo144N97fYzWmgkARcZdn888oOf0nYvqnmZkIiw568Zr2W9YTV682ecfW2sG6pYqIfAIu7BKh6Uy7kxk3BKDcQ
Supplies:

No comments