Mixed Media Layout - Gold

Being in a traditional family where boys are always kings and girls are always slaves isn't easy. Everything I did was always wrong, and I ain't good enough unless I score 100 marks in examinations. Growing up in that kind of environment made me always think I am not good enough. That's until I grew old enough to talk to my father and understood how things were. This is why I am closer to my dad and always look up to him for advice, no matter small or big. He always tells me that money isn't everything. Nor are university degrees. He believes in working hard and playing hard, and everyone is born with a forte. He always reminds me of my fortes, and wants me to always remember what I can do while others might not be able to accomplish. I remember the night where I was wondering if I should go to Polytechnic or Junior College, because the first 3 months in Junior college, I was really unhappy. But my mom wanted me to go into Junior College because that's the cream of the lot. I didn't want my mom to be disappointed but I also didn't want to be unhappy. My dad encouraged me to do what I want and live with the consequences and make the best of the situation. When I was older, he always tells me how beautiful my art works are (even if they ain't looking pretty) and reminds me that everyone has their forte. I used to lack confidence in a lot of ways, especially with people. I always thought I was inferior because I am merely a poly graduate holding a diploma. But my dad changed a lot of things over the years to get me to be on my feet again. 

Today I am here where I am and I am proud to be here. Yes, I might not earn a lot of money, nor do I have a degree to boast about. But I am happy and that's what it matters.

I didn't write any sentiments in this layout, because the song represents a reminder of my dad's words to me and because I used elements to say what I wanted to say. This is a constant reminder to myself, and I embrace the things I love or what makes me happy. These are the things I do best in and I will never regret in my life.

The title came about with this song in mind: Gold by Britt Nicole


Unfortunately, my semi DSLR is now in the camera hospital for some minor repairs, hence the photo quality is reduced (since I took this with my Note3). I shall replace the pictures after my camera comes back to me later on.

---------------- 13Arts Challenge #23 ----------------
This layout is inspired by none other than the talented (and sweet!) Jelissa May at 13arts! :)

1. Use a white background for your project. It can be cardstock, watercolor paper or patterned paper. You can have motifs and designs That are colored but the base must be white and the white should still be visible after all your alterations.
2. Use a black and white photo. For cards or art journals, your sentiments / journaling should also be in either black or white.
3. The colors on your project should come from paints or mists, or any other Colorants (distress inks, water colors etc). This Applies to embellishments as well ie. if you use flowers or letters, they should be white or cream and you color them with your paints or mists. There's no restriction on what colors you want to use - you can have rainbows or you can have all black and white.
4. A song (title or words are ok, in your language of choice) as your theme / title.
5. Publish your project on your blog and add a link Directly to the post using Inlinkz tool at the end of this post.
6. Please add a link and info about our challenge, where your work is published.
7. You can submit as many entries as you like.
8. You can enter your project with a maximum of 2 other challenges and your work must be new, not published before our challenge has started.
9. The challenge ends on October the 26th at 23:55. Winners will be announced on October the 30th, 2014.
-------------------------------------

Here's some of the close-ups of what I have done to tell my story:
For the background, I used different gold mists, textured paste and black mists.
I made use of some air-dry clay to frame up the things which I love. In this layout, I have used 2 different designs. After the clay dries, I broke part of the frame to give it an old, vintage look. Thereafter, I painted it with 1. multi-medium 2. white gesso 3. black gesso 4. mist (Gold) 5. gold metallic paint 6. gold glitter. Keeping the framed embellishments plain and simple, to drag attention. Lastly, added gold glass glitters on some corners. The butterfly is also made of air dry clay.
Similarly, for the flowers, they were white to start with, hence light misting and painting with gold paint was required. On top of it, some glitter were added. Then, the green stems were rounded with a piercer tool to make it look like vines.
It was really fun to work with the different shades of gold (that's really why I have so many bottles of gold paint and glitter and mists at home - and Mr D always thinks they are all the same) 
Additional embellishments - gauze ribbon, crystal swirls, white feathers, pattern paper, music notes stamp, cream pearl strings

Background layering with tags (gold glitter pattern paper die cut with big shot machine)




Last but not least, leaving you this song. Hope it inspires you too. We are all gold - in our own special ways. 


2 comments

Unknown said...

Beautiful layout!! Love the warm brown tones and splashes of gold, and all those little details are fab!! Thanks for joining us at 13 Arts!

Unknown said...

what an amazing layout and a beautiful story you've shared Stacy. I love the warm colors and you've used my favourite gold! Thanks for joining us at 13arts :)