MWL DT: Button Hole Stitching

Hello! It's my turn on the MWL design team to share a project with you! 

Book binding is a great skill to learn and a craft that has been around for many years. It takes practice and understanding the steps to bind, but book binding can also be made simple. As an instructor, I like to study the traditional methods of book binding so that I can infer from these traditional methods to something that can work with my albums or notebooks. Book binding techniques can be used on its own or mixed with other stitches to give a different feel to the entire project - and this is exactly what I like about book binding.

Today, I would like to introduce a mini album featuring Button Hole Stitching, which is a well known book binding method.



This is the basic form of Button Hole stitching, which I adore. The main advantage of this binding is that it does not require any glue for the sections to the spine. It allows me to also expand or contract each section with different page height to enclose more or lesser page layering.

Another advantage is the ability to add designs to the project spine. Because the middle section is open, it allows the flexibility to include designs to enhance the project. There is also a possibility of changing thread colors and adding beads to the project. I like this kind of variation possibilities, so I can change the outlook of my entire project with 1 book binding skill!




Book binding adds a flair to the entire album. Coupled with a few other embellishments, and your mini-album is good to go! 

Supplies used are available at Made With Love.
- Simple Stories: Life in Color Collection, Enamel Dots, Elements pack, chipboard frames
- Sizzix Tim Holtz: detailed butterflies die cut

Want to learn more about book binding?  Do check out Made With Love FB page for more book binding class schedules! :) I will be conducting Button Hole Stitching and Lattice binding (Last call!) this month and hope to see you around!

Cheers!

No comments